Section 8 - Housing Choice Voucher Program

The Housing Choice Voucher Program offers participants freedom of choice in finding a privately owned housing unit. The unit selected must meet HUD approved Housing Quality Standards (HQS).

Housing Choice Voucher Program

  • Residents receive a voucher allowing them to rent housing owned by a private landlord.
  • Vouchers provide Tenant-Based subsidy.
  • If the resident moves out, he/she has a maximum of 120 days to find and be housed in a new unit.
  • A resident can later move to a new location after giving proper notice to the landlord.
  • If the established unit size needs to change because of an increase or decrease in family size, the resident may use his/her voucher to transfer to a CMHA approved unit of appropriate size chosen by the resident family.

Note: Head of Household must be 18 years of age or emancipated at the time of application. Any balance owed to CMHA or any Housing Authority must be paid in full before housing assistance will be offered.

Zero income individuals are also eligible for housing assistance.

What You Should Know About EIV

EIV Brochure

Single-Family Utility Allowances

Multi-Family Utility Allowances

ALL changes in your household income and/or household composition must be reported to the CMHA in writing within 10 calendar days of the effective date of the change.

Where to find a Rental Unit

  • Consider actively looking for units in areas outside the Cillicothe area
  • CMHA maintains a list of private landlords who frequently have units available. You may click here for a download of the list, or stop by the CMHA office to obtain a copy.
  • Classified or housing rental section of the local newspapers or publications